|THE REGION - CULTURAL SIGHTS|
| 48° 31,9254´ N |
20° 25,0086´ E
A village on the western outskirts of Silica calcite plateau,distanced approx., 20KM south-west of Roznava. There is an antiquarian field-neolitic human settlement with beech-montane culture-remains of defined carbon mural paint. In the cave is also settlement of pilin culture from early bronze and puchov era.Initially a regal territory belonging to the guardians of mountains, first settlements established in the early 12 th century.The year 1243 is mentioned, that time it belonged to Plesivec. The name Ardovo was derived from the Hungarian word erdovo-a guard of forest, guardians of forest. In year 1427 it had 31 settlements, until the end of the 16th century it was under ownership of Csetneky family. In the midieval there were lead mines there,in the 18th century the new settlers dealed with sheeps,charing and later with agriculture.
CHURCH-built in year 1788 on the elder base as a modern tolerant temple without spirall,the spirall was built in 1928.There is a base of an old fort wall around the church from 16-17th century.An interesting baroque-modern altar with inconstructed pulpit is from 18th century.
Cage of Ardovo / with stalactite decoration and scarce breed of bats /, is a protected natural creste - a part of CHKO Carst of Slovakia.
There is a tourist path from the village going to Silica plateau, access from Plesivec.
A brick-layed farmers house with ornate gable-era 1852 and a pillar dado on the front and lateral facade is an example of local rustic house building..
retep.sk (c) 2002 - 2015