Rožňava and its region


GPS  48° 39,729´ N
  20° 31,980´ E

page    <<< 1 2 3 4 >>>

The town is situated in the Rožňava Fold in the valley of the Slaná River, under the southern foothills of the Volovské Mountains. Rožňava emerged as a miners' settlement with golden, silver, and copper mines. The first written mention of the town dates back to 1291. The first municipal rights were granted in 1340, the town became a tributary town in 1382, and it gained full recognition as a free royal town in 1410. Turkish raids in the 16th century contributed to the decline of mining. Today, Rožňava is a pleasant town with excellent opportunities for nature and history lovers.
panoráma rožňavy


The building of the secondary school of medical care, former girls' school. The foundation of the school was initiated by superintendant Štefan Czékus. There were two classes for eight years starting in the academic year 1886/87. In 1895/96 the school was reorganized and four classes were established. The neccesary funds were raised by the Evangelical church of the Augsburg confession in public fundraising and the district contributed 2000 gold florins.  The school had 80 to 100 students. The present building was built in 1987. It consisted of classes, flats for teachers, and a dormitory. The building was finished on February 13, 1892. On the neighbouring lotthere is a sports hall that belonged to the Evangelical secondary grammar school (gymnasium)
Secondary Grammar School (gymnasium) - Former main gymnasium, built in 1904-1906 according to the project of Budapest architect Alexander Baumgarten, who cooperated on this project with Ö. Lechner. The building was built under the supervision of builder Ján Pisszer and Ing. M. Ungár. Fours storey standalone building with a backyard was built on the premises of the cathedral. It is partly inclosed by the walls of the cathedral and partly by a rail fence of the secession style. The building was mainly sponsored by the generous Dionýz and Géza  Andrássy. The horologe placed on the left side of the facade of the gymnasium in teh height of the first storey date back to 1906.  ........... info+
Regional cultural center, former house of the Catholic Craft Union, established in 1903. It was a cultural union of catholic craftsmen with membership ranging between 290 and 318. It was abolished in 1945. The building was built and consecrated for this union on October 13, 1907. The oldest part of the building is today's main wing. Later there were added a back-yard wing and a short crosswise wing on the northern side.  ........... info+
Typical Burgher house in the baroque-classicist style in the Šafarikova street with probably a late gothic core and unique stucco ornamnets.  The house was largely rebuilt in the last quarter of the 18th century. Its facade dates to this reconstruction, and is one of the most valuable in Roznava. The windows are bordered by nicely decorated rims. There are valuable stucco mirrors in the house. The hause had originaly an attic roof, which was replaced by a gabled roof in 1891, after it burned.  ........... info+
Baroque-classicist building of former Roman catholic secondary grammar school (gymnasium) built in 1778 in the vicinity of the cathedral. Later it was turned into a catholic seminar in 1814. After 1945 it was used as a children hospital. The building of the seminar was built in 1808 - 1814 in the times of Ladislav Eszterhazy by the builder Baffi. In the mid 20th century a new wing was added on the east side for the use of a hopsital. In front of the building there was a bust of I. Szabó a professor of the gymnasium.  ........... info+
Bishop's residence - baroque-classicist building. It was constructed by joining a former jesuit monastery with a neighbouring house. A unifying classicist facade was build based on th eproject of builder J. Mayer  In the second half of the 19th century the building was extended into the Čučmianska street with a late empire-style entrance by builder Baffi (1890). The complex was completed in the end of the 20th century when the northern side was closed by a new wing according to the project of Ing. arch. Rusnák. There is a nice garden in the yard. Original conveniences from the 19 century and paintings from the 17th and 19th centuries were preseved in the chapel of the bishop and in the residential parts of the house.  ...... info+

down (c) 2002 - 2011
page    <<< 1 2 3 4 >>>