Rožňava and its region


GPS  48° 39,729´ N
  20° 31,980´ E

page    <<< 1 2 3 4 >>>

The town is situated in the Rožňava Fold in the valley of the Slaná River, under the southern foothills of the Volovské Mountains. Rožňava emerged as a miners' settlement with golden, silver, and copper mines. The first written mention of the town dates back to 1291. The first municipal rights were granted in 1340, the town became a tributary town in 1382, and it gained full recognition as a free royal town in 1410. Turkish raids in the 16th century contributed to the decline of mining. Today, Rožňava is a pleasant town with excellent opportunities for nature and history lovers.
panoráma rožňavy


The house of the former town's almshous built in 1719. There are older baroque stone sculptures: The Holy Trinity and Piety and the statuary of  St. Florian, the patron of firemen, carved by anonymous sculptor in 1720. A  plaque on the facade of the almshouse commemorates the yeoman of Krasna Horka Juraj Andrassy, who had the almshouse built for poor and ill people from Rožňava. Under the plaque there is a small tabernacle with ironwork for a contribution box used ot collect the money for the almshouse. Since 1837, based on the edict of catholic council, the almshouse was renamed to "roman-catholic" and only served for catholics.
Former Evangelical Gymnasium (Grammar School).Several important people studied here: Július Botto - historian, Pavol Dobšinský - writer, Zoltán Fábry - writer, Michal Miloslav Hodža - politician, Peter Kellner Hostinský - poet and journalist, Akad.Jur Hronec - mathematician, András Cházár - pioneer ofmedical pedagogy, Viktor Madarász - painter, Jozef Mikulík - historian, Michal Mišovic - drama writer, rector, Samuel Ormis - pedagogue, Albert Pákh - writer, Samo Chalupka - poet, Pavol Jozef Šafárik - historian and linguist, Gyula i Kálmán Tichy - painter and graphician, Samo Tomášik - writer, Samuel Vozár - poet, and Štefan Marko Daxner. Nowadays the building houses an elementary school.  ........ info+
Town hall built in 1711 in Baroque style by merging and adapting two older late-Gothic and Rennaisance buildings. Its gable is adorned  by a golden angel, who with its wings embraces city's coat of arms: three roses and two crossed miners' hammers. Prior to the 19th century the town hall had just ground floor and the first floor, when second floor was added and the facade was facelifted in the Classicist style. An engraving from 1867 already depcits the two-storey town hall. In the middle of the 20th century an adjacent building was adjoined to the town hall, but its original facade was left unchanged. At the same time, representative rooms on the second floor were adapted for a large theatre.  ........... info+
Museum - Classicist workshop of the former tannery /Mark's Factory/ build in 1782, which was renowned in the whole Hungary. The factory used headrace (water mill), later steam engine with 20ps. Above teh windows there are sculptures depicting work practices in tannery, such as unloading of raw leathers, cutting and processing, and tanning, in the neo-antique style. There used to be large tannery workshops behind this building.  ........... info+
Museum of Mining  - with the permanent exhibition of the History of Mining and the oil-painting: Attila's Death by F. Paczka. The secession building was built in 1905-1910 according to the project of the local architect and mine director A Muller as a present of the Count Dionyz Andrassy to the Town of Rožňava. In the courtyard of the museum there is the building of the former Almhouse of Frantiska with the exhibition of Slovak Karst and the Surroundings. Notable is the ornamental cast iron paling around the museum.  ........... info+
Late-Classicist two-wing building of General /Old/ Hospital with Neo-Gothic Chapel in the middle are situated, together with a newer pavilion  from 1937 in a large yard with a park. Gatehouse was constructed after the WWII. The hospital yard is fenced by a remarkable wrought railing. The hospital originated from a testament donation of Ms. Alojzia Mihalovitsova, widow of Dr. Karol Kós, who wished to establish a hospital in Roznava under the administration of the Catholic Church. The period during which the hospital did not have its own building ended when bischop Juraj Schopper donated funds that sufficed for building of a new hospital building. This was opened in 1887  ........... info+
The seat of the former Chamber of Mining, a rennaisance building dating to the 17th Century. In the years 1706-1707 there was Rakoczi's mint. On November 26, 1706 Frantisek II. Rakoczi himself stayde here, when he summoned the Land Council of revolutionary leaders. Under this building with characteristic butresses we find large vaults connected to the shafts under the Banikov Square.  ........... info+
Convent of the merciful nuns of St. Vincent - neogothic convent, built in 1866. Two caparison consoles on the facade support terracota sculptures that depict Virgin Mary with little Jesus on the left and an angel with a baby on the right. Under the window of a buttress we find a terracotta relief depicting the scene "Let the kids come to me".  The complex of  the convent and a school was built by bischop Kolartsik in the neo-rennaisance style on the site of two former buildings. The basement of the larger building were built in the new edifices. Dormitory was added later in the 1930s. On the attic one can see a forged coat of arms of bischop Kolartsik, the founder of the convent.  ........... info+
Krámiky ("little shops") is an interesting row of shops on the east side of the Jesuit Church, next to the Watchtower. They originated in the middle ages and belonged to the former middle-age town hall, which used to be on the site of today's Jesuit Church. These shops used to house town scales and the office of the market  mayor; in short, they used to house all the institutions related to the famous markets of Roznava. On the main facade we find preseved pieces of classicist decoration. Very interesting is the rhytm of carved roof consoles.  ........... info+
Roman Catholic vicarage (rectory) at the corner of Betliarska street date to the gothic period of the early 15th Century. The main faced facing the square has two windows and a blind window in the middlle with an illussionist baroque painting. The composition of the facade is classicist.  There is a baroque figural painting from the third quarter of the 18th Century painted in the spaces between the windows. These paintings depict Virgin Mary pn the right, the patron of Hungary, St. Michael (?) the Archangel in the middle, and Christ with Samaritan on the left. These paintings are painted using the "secco" method. The stairway is decorated by nicely crafted classicist rails and grate.  ........... info+
down (c) 2002 - 2011
page    <<< 1 2 3 4 >>>