Rožňava and its region


GPS  48° 39,729´ N
  20° 31,980´ E

page    <<< 1 2 3 4 >>>

The town is situated in the Rožňava Fold in the valley of the Slaná River, under the southern foothills of the Volovské Mountains. Rožňava emerged as a miners' settlement with golden, silver, and copper mines. The first written mention of the town dates back to 1291. The first municipal rights were granted in 1340, the town became a tributary town in 1382, and it gained full recognition as a free royal town in 1410. Turkish raids in the 16th century contributed to the decline of mining. Today, Rožňava is a pleasant town with excellent opportunities for nature and history lovers.


Towns' Watchtower situated in the middle of the Banikov Square  (Miners' S.) was a part of the original gothic town hall. Construction works began in 1643 during the reign of the mayor Martin Weiszer in order to strengthen town's defence against the Turkish threat. Because the construction works were delayed, in 1654 the then-mayor Matej Bako invited Juraj Gerscheuer, a constructor from the Spis region, who with the assistance from the local master Daniel Mosszen finished the watchtower in the same year. A renaissance memorial plaque situated on the southern wall of the tower honors the two mayors and contains construction dates and towns' Coat of Arms. Ján Althuem Missnico wrote a detailed history of the town over the 11 years of the construction of the watchtower and this document was placed in the attic of the Watchtower. As a reminder of Turkish raids, above the plaque one can see a stone Turkish cannonball. On the eight floor of the 38 meters high tower was a room for guards who controlled town's surroundings from the gallery around the tower. In 1766 the Watchtower burnt and received a new baroque roof.
Church /evangelical reformed/, built in 1904 - 1905, brick-made edifice in the Secession style. /architect: Ferencz Weininger from Budapest, constructor: Ing. Nándor Szilvássy from Rožňava/. Pulpit with a canopy, benches, and galleries made of browned wood with golden ornaments come from the workshop of the local carpentry master Ferencz Boyer (1905). The organ was mastered by Mr. Š. Kerékgyártó from Debrecín and the ritual table was made by the carpenter Š. Füleky. There are wooden galleries on cast columns with decorative chapiters on the east side of the main nave and in the north nave.
Evangelical Church /evangelical A.c./, built by constructor Mayer in1786 in a closed yard without a belfry, bells, and direct access from the street, according to the regulation of that time. It is one of the most beautiful hall churches built according to those regulations. The altar (woodcarver Jozef Gode), pulpit, and font with noteworthy spiral-cut marble column are made in the Luisian style. Organ from 1785 was made by master Ján Gertner and is one of the most precious works of its kind in the Gemer region. The church is one of the most important Clasicist buildings in Slovakia and its construction is linked to the visit of the Emperor Jozef II in Rožňava in 1783.
Church of St. Frantisek Xav.  - seminar church - /catholic./, baroque edifice, built in 1658 - 1687 on the site of former townhall and protestant school in the middle of the central square, adjacent to the Watchtower. Construction works began by Jesuits in 1658. The portal of the church is adorned by two very precious limewood carvings placed in tabernacles: scultures depicting King David and Moses. The main altar is from the beginning of the 20th Century. Lateral altar of St. Alois Gonzaga is of baroque style from the18th Century. There is a cellar beneath the nave, probably a relic of the perished townhall, later used as a tomb for dignitaries of the Remonstrate Order of Roznava. Today the church is used by the Salesian community.
Gothic Church of Ascension of St. Mary /catholic/ built in 13th Century, finished around 1304, first as a vicar church, since 1776 episcopal church. The tower was built in 1778 - 1779 under the lead of local constructor J. Mayer. The main late-baroque altar was made by J. Gode in 1779. Lateral altar of St. Andrew is classicist from 1828. The pulpit is baroque-classicist also made by J. Gode in about 1770. Marmar classicist font is from 1828. The most precious object of art of Rožňava is the anonymous late-gothic board painting "St. Anna" from 1513 that depicts Our Lady with her mother, St. Anna, and her son Jesus. The painting depicts relaistic scenes from medieval life of miners and steel workers.
Church of St. Anna /catholic/ and the building of former Franciscan monastery built in late-baroque style, later received a classicist remake, established on June 30, 1745. The monastery burnt in 1748. The construction of the church finished on November 5, 1826. It burned several times and was repaired  in 1906. In that period a small neo-rococo chapel of Holy Grave was appended to the eastern side of the church. Interior of the church is adorned by wall paintings of renowned local painter Július Ádám painted between 1897 and 1918. The main altar is from 1905 made by F. Boger and J. Adám, the organ comes from the Hungarian city of Salgótarján, statues and altar accesories are from Tyrol, baroque pulpit is from the 17th century from Kosice, three bells were cast in Budapest by Frantisek Valtzer in 1892. In the upper half of the facade is a stucco God's eye with beams.
Marmar Memorial of Frantiska Andrássyova /maiden name: Hablavcova/ by J. Horvay and E.Samovolsky from 1905. Was ordered by Roznava municipal council that organized a tender on September 15, 1903 to built a memorial of this memorable lady who geneorusly supported schools, humanitarian organizations, nurseries, hospitals, founder of institutions for blind and deaf-mute people. The memorial was financed from public donations. Frantiska was a daughter of the director of Vienna Conservatory and since 1866 the wife of Count Dionyz Andrassy, with whom she lived in harmony 36 years. She died on October 26, 1902. The memorial contains a statue of an oldman-beggar and two children, symbolizing the main beneficiaries of her generosity.
Plague Column in front of the Bischop's Palace, former Jesuit monastery. Built in 1711 in baroque style after the plague epidemic,  which within two months took 2035 lives in the yar 1710. The Column contains the life-size statue of Our Lady Immaculata. Our Lady stands in a flyaway robe with hands in a prayer on a symbolic Earth crushing the head of a snake that winds around the Earth, symbolizing the plague. In 1730 the statues of St. Florian and Sv. Jan Nepomuk, the patron of the Diocese of Roznava, were added to the sides of the memorial placed on lower rectangular columns.
Calvary  above the town is a baroque building with several later additions. The first building with seven chapels were built in 1741 on the initiative of local burgher Jakub Steer and his wife Katarina and supported by Ferencz Szabo, the Master of the Jesuit Order in the town. In 1841 the Calvary was refurbished, a new painting was placed on  the main altar, and six chapels were renovated (one perished in the meantime). Original paintingsin the chapels, largely damaged, were removed and replaced by basreliefs ordered in Munich by Bischop Kollarcik. The chapel of Holy Grave was reconstructed in 1854 by vicar Elek
down (c) 2002 - 2011
page    <<< 1 2 3 4 >>>